Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Omi Krauth’s Sugarcake (Zuckerkuchen) ~ A Guest Post by the German Foodie

Today I'm very pleased to welcome Sofie from The German Foodie to Oh Cake. I first met Sofie through Foodbuzz but I really got to know her through the Food Bloggers Network. She has become someone whose work I admire and whose personality I really enjoy. With Thom's Austrian parentage he also reads her blog which is reminiscent of the recipes his mother makes (just say servierttenknödel to watch a man go weak in the knees). I just love anyone who makes things like Strawberry Sour Cream Pie. I am very excited about today's recipe that Sofie is graciously sharing with us: not only does it have sour cream (one of my secret favorite indulgences) but I love Thom's stories about his own "Candy Omi" ~ his grandmother who was so named because she always kept a drawer full of candy for visiting grandchildren. I'll let Sofie tell you about Omi Krauth and her zucherkuchen (sugar cake). And when you're done with this luscious treat be sure to visit Sofie's blog and drool over all the other delicious bites there.


I am an expat German living in Northeast Ohio, and blogging mostly about authentic German food and my own original recipes inspired by German food. Having grown up in the border region with France in a very cosmopolitan city, even for its size, I am also drawn to all sorts of ethnic recipes.
I have been baking ever since I could hold a spoon, and it is my great passion in life. I have somehow always baked. I love to explore and experiment, to create and yes, eat what I have created. I am not just a consummate baker; I like to cook as well, especially seasonally.

A couple of months ago I was contacted by somebody seeking to reinvent a cake she remembered from her childhood. She called it a “Zuckerkuchen” or “sugar cake” but everything she was describing to me was decidedly more a “Schmandkuchen” or “sour cream cake”, or a cross between the two. Zuckerkuchen is really, really simple to make: a yeast-based dough, spread on a half-sheet baking pan, topped with cinnamon and sugar over butter or a layer of sour cream. That’s it. A Schmandkuchen is round and similar to Zuckerkuchen in that it is topped with cinnamon and sugar. The dough base can vary.


For this one I chose a short crust, lined a springform with it and topped it with sour cream, cinnamon and sugar. There are of course eggs in the sour cream topping and a little starch to get it to settle, but other than that, there’s not much more to it.

In honor of the woman whose recipe this originally was, or in whose spirit we recreated this cake, we called it Omi Krauth’s Zuckerkuchen. Enjoy!


Omi Krauth’s Sugarcake (Zuckerkuchen)
(Original Recipe)
Crust
150 g flour
65 g butter
65 g sugar
1 knifetip baking powder
1 egg

Topping
500 g sour cream
10 g vanilla flavor
2 eggs
20 g corn starch
200 g sugar
PLUS
50 g sugar
2 g cinnamon

Combine all ingredients for the crust into a mealy, cookie-like dough. Let rest in the fridge for about 20 - 30 minutes to give the butter a chance to firm up.
Combine all ingredients for the topping, leave out the starch. Beat thoroughly until thick and creamy. Sift the starch on top. Put mixer on low speed and keep stirring until starch has been incorporated.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a greased 9" springform, roll out the entire crust dough on the bottom, prick a few times w/ a fork. Pour the topping into the form and smooth. Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture on top. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

11 comments:

  1. Perfect cake for afternoon coffee time. So simple and yet so good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that's such a cute story! That cake looks super simple and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! I think this is something easy enough for me to try....I hope because it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica- Thanks for having Sofie guest for you. Love her and her blog.

    Sofie- This is such a wonderful dish. I've actually never heard of this so it was fun to come and see something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I'm loving the lovely silky texture of this cake and looking at the recipe it looks pretty easy :)
    Will be trying it for sure!Lovely guest post by Sofie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks so good, with the the cinnamon sugar topping. Thank you for sharing this recipe, so now I have learned a bit more about authentic German Baking. I have a friend, who is a retired German teacher, so I'll be making it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For all the German cakes I've eaten, I'm surprised to have never had this one. I can tell I'd love it, though. What's not to love?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this from Sofie and looks like a recipe to treasure, I think I would so love its texture

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica! What a wonderful guest post! I love German food and our Romanian cuisine is full of German influences. This cake looks gorgeous! I'll have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sofie pointed this out as very close to a recipe my FIL remembers from his childhood. I hope to bake it up for him one day. Great to see you two collaborating :) Looks delish!

    PS...I'm going to have to ask what amount equals a "knife tip."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sofie, this cake looks amazing! I especially love that custardy topping. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!