Monday, June 4, 2012

Brown Butter Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips & Toasted Walnuts

Banana bread is one of those foods, like mac & cheese or pizza, that just about everyone enjoys. It's easy to make, easy to freeze, easy to wrap up and give as a gift. In fact, several weeks ago my very dear friend Liz brought over a heavenly banana bread studded with chocolate and peanut butter chips, prompting me to post to Facebook, "a true friend knows your ups and downs and loves you no matter what. A best friend does all that AND brings you banana bread. "


I only like fairly firm bananas for eating raw. Once they start to hit the over-ripe stage I pop 'em in the freezer. The result is a pretty icky looking banana; but it's perfect for banana bread. And remember what Grammie always said, "waste not; want not." In fact, I can't write about banana bread without talking about my grandmother.

She was the kind of woman who always had something home baked in the house when you visited. She knew the names of your dolls, then your friends, and then the boys you liked. She would make your favorite little treat to show you she loved you beyond measure and would share it with you, like a secret treasure. At teatime my mother, grandmother, and I would sit around the table with our own special china cup. The ivory and gold one for Mom's black tea. The tall, narrow one with tiny yellow flowers for my tea with milk and sugar. The graceful wild strawberry cup for Grammie's tea with milk - no sugar. There was always "a little something" as Grammie would call her afternoon snack. She loved banana bread, all fruit breads really, with a thin coating of cream cheese as her teatime treat.


When Grammie would come to visit she would say three things, without fail, all in a row:

1. "Hello!" In her clear, high, musical voice. At that, we would come running.
2. "Where's my hug?" As my brother and I gave her big bear hugs. And then finally,
3. "where's my cuppa?" Because the woman was addicted to her tea. It got to where my brother and I would time her potential arrive and begin boiling water about 20 minutes before so the pot would be ready when she arrived.

I treasure everything I have remaining of her - particularly her recipes. The recipe here is based on Grammie's.  She preferred her banana bread a little drier because it would be eaten with cream cheese and tea. I don't think she would have approved of the chocolate chips but the toasted walnuts would have been just fine by her. I can hear her now, "oh Jessie! what a lovely bread! Let's put the kettle on."

Brown Butter Banana Bread ~ makes one loaf
1 cup frozen banana, thawed
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup brown butter
2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare a loaf pan with Bak-Klene or butter and flour.

Brown the butter over medium-low heat taking care not to burn it. Set aside in fridge until ready to use.

Sift together all dry ingredients except sugar and set aside. In a separate large bowl mash the banana. Add the brown butter, eggs, and sugar. Beat to combine. In a third bowl whip the cream. Working in additions, incorporate some of the dry ingredients into the banana mixture, alternating with additions of whipped cream. Do not over mix. Fold in the toasted, chopped walnuts and the mini chocolate chips.

Spread into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Serve with cream cheese and tea to the ones you love most.

I really hope you enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I love brown butter! This is a great combination and I will definitely be making this with my next batch of mushy bananas. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw your grandma sounds so lovely! I always wished I'd had a grandma like that-mine are sorta lame lol. And I do the same thing you do with your bananas, into the freezer they go! I WANT THIS BREAD! Browned butter + banana + choc chips=I'm a happy happy girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an awesome lady. I still miss her. Next time I'll have to make it completely her version and do a comparison.

      Delete
  3. Everything about this bread is absolutely wonderful and I completely enjoyed the story of your grandma. When I first saw the title as brown butter banana bread I had to read it and then you got me with chocolate chips and walnuts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a confession. I've never made browned butter.

    Don't tell anyone. But, I need to!!! Because I need this bread!

    It looks wonderful and I love your story about your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love banana bread. I brings back such warm memories of growing up. I have a few bananas in the freezer right now. Maybe I need to whip this up. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this looks so good. I just want to reach in and snag a few slices. I need to try this. Like right away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks wonderful. I am surprised about the frozen bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This banana bread looks so good. What an awesome friend you have. I'm not a big fan of overly ripe bananas, either. I end up making some type of baked good with them. Your grandmother sounds just like my grandmother. As soon as I walked through her door she would begin to set the table with a variety of yummies. I always enjoyed going to her house because I was guaranteed delicious food and lots of love. Your Grammie sounds like a lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott would LOVE this... looks and sounds so great. love the nostalgia of it all too :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!